Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Slow Cooker Island BBQ Chicken

Got the photo and recipe at Perry's Plate (one of my favorite recipe blogs). It was Yum-O!!!

2 pounds chicken breasts (I used boneless/skinless)
salt and pepper to taste
1 whole medium onion, sliced thinly
1/4 cups raisins
1 bottle of fruity barbecue sauce (18-20 oz bottle, guava, mango or pineapple)
(I just used my favorite Jack Daniel's bbq sauce)
2 T. balsamic vinegar
6 Sandwich Buns

Place chicken breasts into slow cooker and sprinkle salt and pepper to both sides. Add sliced onion and raisins. Pour 3/4 of the bottle of barbecue sauce and balsamic vinegar over chicken and combine. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.

When cooking is complete, remove the chicken from the crock pot, take 2 forks and gently pull apart. I used some of the juice (about half) from the crock pot and put it back into the chicken then discarded the rest. I then added some more bbq sauce (not much) until it was as saucy as I wanted.

Serve on a bun (I used a whole wheat thin bun) and top with coleslaw.
The tart in the coleslaw and the sweet in the chicken makes the perfect combination!

I doubled the chicken recipe ingredients except for the onion. And I just used bbq sauce to my discretion (not quite doubling).




No comments:

Post a Comment